Studies show effectiveness of online therapy
A multitude of studies show that online therapy is just as effective and helpful as seeing someone face to face. This is a short sampling of studies showing the effectiveness of online therapy.
- Backhaus, Autumn, Agha, Zia, Maglione, Melissa L., Repp, Andrea, Ross, Bridgett, Zuest, Danielle, Rice-Thorp, Natalie M., Lohr, James, Thorp, and Steven R. (2012). Videoconferencing Psychotherapy: A Systematic Review. Psychological Services. 9(2):111-131.
- David Kessler, Glyn Lewis, Surinder Kaur, Nicola Wiles, Michael King, Scott Weich, Debbie J Sharp, Ricardo Araya, Sandra Hollinghurst, Tim J Peters. (2009). Therapist-delivered internet psychotherapy for depression in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 374(9690):628-634.
- Godleski, Linda. Darkins, Adam. Peters, John. (2012). Outcomes of 98,609 U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs patients enrolled in telemental health services, 2006-2010.Psychiatric Services. 63(4):383-5.
- Hailey D. Roine R. Ohinmaa A. (2008). The effectiveness of telemental health applications: a review. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry / Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie. 53(11):769-78.
- King VL, Stoller KB, Kidorf M, Kindbom K, Hursh S, Brady T, Brooner RK. (2009). Assessing the effectiveness of an Internet-based videoconferencing platform for delivering intensified substance abuse counseling. J Subst Abuse Treat. 36(3):331-8.
- Litz BT, Engel CC, Bryant R, Papa A. (2007). A Randomized Controlled Proof-of-Concept Trial of an Internet-Based, Therapist-Assisted Self-Management Treatment for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 164(11):1676-84.
- Moffatt JJ, Eley DS. (2010). The reported benefits of telehealth for rural Australians. Aust Health Rev. 34(3):276-81.
- Nelson EL, Bui TN, Velasquez SE. (2011). Telepsychology : research and practice overview. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 20(1):67-79.
- O’Reilly R. Bishop J. Maddox K. Hutchinson L. Fisman M. Takhar J. (2007). Is telepsychiatry equivalent to face-to-face psychiatry? Results from a randomized controlled equivalence trial. Psychiatric Services. 58(6):836-43.
- Slone NC, Reese RJ, McClellan MJ. (2012). Telepsychology outcome research with children and adolescents : a review of the littérature. Psychol Serv. 9(3):272-92.
- Wagner, Birgit, Horn, Andrea B., Maercker, Andreas. (2013). Internet-based versus face-to-face cognitive-behavioral intervention for depression: A randomized controlled non-inferiority trial. Journal of Affective Disorders. In Press, Available online 23 July 2013.